Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Got Our New Insurance Cards

DH and I got our insurance cards recently, so the health insurance snafu was deftly avoided by the skin of it's teeth. LOL We're still set to be induced this Saturday and all is well. I asked the doc if she'd be open to inducing me early before the end of the year and she basically said no. Since my blood sugars have been good, there's no reason to get the baby out, as every day in the womb is beneficial to the development of the lungs.

She told me birth at 38 weeks and birth at 39 weeks is the difference between 97% and 99% with regards to survival rates. Both percentages are very high, but with the addition of just one week, there's one heck of a chance of having a happy, healthy baby. A little disappointing, since both my good friends Karen and Val have HAD their children, and thus get themselves a nifty little tax break. SIGH

No such luck for me having baby by midnight tonight. My doctor, although she said she wouldn't induce, said she's not against "helping things along" for natural labor. She stripped my membranes on Monday, and told me it gives you a 50/50 chance for your cervix to thin on it's own due to the release of prostaglandins, and thus speed along a natural labor. If anything happens, it happens within the first 24 to 48 hours.

Nothing's happening. Like I told a friend of mine, guess I'm like Fort Knox until we can break through the walls with Pitocin.

I've only ever been induced with Pitocin once in all my four previous births. From administration of the drug to babe in arms was 3 hours. Of course, I was a week overdue and my water had already broken two hours before, so my body was ready for labor then. Not so sure about now. Yes, for those of you who can do math, my second child had only a 5 hour labor, that is, if you count the 2 hours of nothing between my water breaking and the Pitocin drip. Otherwise, it was 3 hours.

I'm going in at 8am. If I have another 3 hour labor (wouldn't that be wonderful??) I'll have baby Sophie before lunchtime. But, if it's like I suspect, I'll probably labor into the afternoon and/or evening before having her. I just don't think my body is ready this time to slam into labor. But who knows? I've been feeling "pre-labor" for weeks (popping/spreading hips, false labor, Braxton-Hicks). Perhaps I just need that Pitocin push one more time. :)

~~Becka

1 Comments:

At 4:48 PM , Blogger Diane Craver said...

Oh my gosh, I guess it's been some time since I've visited your blog. I didn't realize you were pregnant. Congrats - hope you and Sophie are doing great. And the rest of the family!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home