Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Monday, January 22, 2007

Just When I Thought I Wouldn't Have Anything to Blog...

Today is Monday. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I pack up the kids and we go on a trek to the Karate dojo. Today was no different. We go, they have class, and I'm in the dojo, waiting for them to hurry up and go to the bathroom so we can go home and get some dinner on.

I'm minding my own business, trying to stay out of people's way, because the dojo is merely a converted house with a large warehouse-like garage in the back. So when there's a lot of people moving around in the house, it can get crowded.

So I'm glancing at the pictures on the walls and all of a sudden, I hear this SCREAMING coming from the hallway. Immediately, I recognize that scream as belonging to my youngest daughter.

"MOMMY!!" she's wailing. Loudly. We're talking "Holy sh*t, the child has broken a bone!" wailing.

At this point, I have no clue what happened, as she went into the bathroom with her sister. All I see is her face covered in foamy soap. My oldest is crying almost as hard as my youngest. "She ate the soap!" she yells at me. I'm like what the hell? My kids don't randomly eat soap. Besides, my youngest daughter is 5 years old. Well beyond the shoving things in her mouth stage (aside from her thumb, but that's an entirely different story).

So I take her into the bathroom to wipe off the soap and maybe get her something to drink to get the taste out of her mouth. Then I found out no, she didn't "eat" the soap, it squirted into her eyes.

Okay. NOW I know why she's screeching like a banchee.

Apparently, the soap dispenser wasn't working properly, and my oldest, in an effort to get soap in her hand, of course, forced it with both of her hands, thus making the soap fly across the room as some kind of foamy projectile, only to hit her sister square in both eyeballs. Bullseye, Hannah.

Oh, y'all are snickering. I can hear you. But at the time, it was traumatic for my poor little girl.

Both of them.

So I'm trying like the dickens to rinse out my youngest daughter's eyes in the dojo's bathroom, and of course it's not working too well. I do the best I can until she (mostly) stops her crying. But the poor little thing can't open her eyes to save her life.

We make it home just as DH comes home from work and we manage to flush the rest of the soap from her eyes. But her eyes were so red and bloodshot, I felt so sorry for her! She still couldn't open her eyes too wide or she'd be rubbing them with her fingers. :(

I mean, what the heck are the odds here? I've never heard of a soap dispenser squirting soap halfway across the room. Maybe directly out onto the counter, but this was like an Act of God, or better yet, Murphy's Law. "If something can go wrong, it will."

**Sigh**

We sent her to bed early tonight because her eyes started to sting again. It was probably due to all that crying and rubbing and, well, SOAP. I'm sure we got it all out, but her eyes are bound to be irritated for the next few days. I mean, just imagine. We're in deep hurting if we get a *drop* of shampoo in our eyes. My little girl got a giant GLOB of foamy handsoap directly in her baby blues.

I have no doubt she's going to be terrified of washing her hair from now on. And honestly, I don't blame her.

The moral of the story? Wear protective eye gear when trying to force a bottle of handsoap to dribble into your palm. You never know where that soap will squirt.



~~Becka

2 Comments:

At 8:35 AM , Blogger Joleine said...

Okay, not to laugh at poor Monie's expense, but that is quite possibly the funniest thing I've read in a long time.. poor baby though :( Hope her eyes feel better soon!

 
At 4:28 PM , Blogger Becka said...

S'ok, Joleine. I know you have a masochistic side. LOL She's still got red, gritty eyes today and I made her take a nap. I bought some eye drops for her, and they seem to be helping. But she must have really gotten a face full of the stuff.

The soap wasn't the gel kind. It was the foamy kind. So when it squirts out of the dispenser, it's in foam form. Therefore, there was more foamy coverage on her sensitive little eyeball.

Poor little darlin'.

~~Becka

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home