Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Saw the Doctor

Just in case you missed my comment on my last post, I did go and see the doctor. Baby seems to be just fine, with 150 heartbeats per minute and measuring at 23 cm on my belly. :)

As far as my medication, I've been switched off the Metformin to a medication called Glyburide. My doctor put me on a low dose, since this medication is known to make you go hypoglycemic, and it's better to start out low and go higher if you need to. So far, for the past two days, it's kept my sugars down under 95 in the mornings with a decent reading after breakfast. Perhaps that's just what I needed.

"Bad" thing is this medication gives me side effects. It's giving me headaches, stomach aches, and making me really foggy/tired. Well, I guess I don't have to take it "forever", and it's better to keep my sugars down than harm the baby.

My doc did mention the ultrasound showed the baby looked very good, however, the placenta is only 2 cm away from my cervix. This is bad news for a vaginal delivery. BUT, I'm still early enough in my pregnancy that it might float away and I'll be perfectly fine.

Because of this little complication and my diabetes, they are going to be giving me two more ultrasounds, one at 28 weeks and one at 36 weeks to monitor both the size of the baby and the position of the placenta.

You see, if I go vaginal with the placenta so close to the cervix, the placenta will deliver first. This is NOT good, as the baby is still attached to the placenta, which is what they get their nutrients and oxygen from. And because the baby hasn't come through first and stretched things out, the placenta would have one heck of a messy delivery (ew, I know), and endanger the life of the baby, as for that few minutes after the placenta is "destroyed", the baby will be without oxygen and nutrients in utero. Bad news!

After a normal birth, the baby's umbilical cord is clamped and cut and they take their first breath and they are no longer connected to mom. But the baby has to be OUTSIDE the mommy in order to be out of harm's way.

Anyhow, if the placenta doesn't move, it's likely I'll have a c-section. Or if the baby gets too big, I'll have one. *sigh* Darn high risk pregnancy! I've had four kids and haven't had to have a c-section yet. It kinda scares me, to tell you the truth. I hope all goes well in the months to come.

~~Becka

4 Comments:

At 7:28 AM , Blogger Christopher said...

I was pretty scared when Karen had her c-section. After watching 18 hours of labor, the last thing you want is to see your wife too exhausted to push anymore and have a nurse come in to explain the small chance of death or horrific injury from the surgery.

However, one it started, the c-section was very fast. In the time it takes to say "1-2-3 not it!" the baby was out and getting the goo wiped off. I'd say that from the time they started the actual procedure until it was finished was about 2 minutes.

The total time from being wheeled into the operating room until we were chilling in recovery was maybe... 45 minutes.

 
At 11:05 AM , Blogger Becka said...

Yeah, I bet having emergency c-section has got to be even scarier than a planned c-section. I bet you guys were terrified, I know I would have been, especially after all those hours of labor, I'd be an emotional wreck.

However a planned c-section could be cool, as like Damon and Monica, you can kind of "pick" your child's birthday. Kevin and Val are going to try for a birth before the year's out. :)

~~Becka

 
At 12:21 PM , Blogger Rosie said...

Becka, while you write about your fears I always see an underlying thread of optimism in your posts. I can't help but believe that your positive thinking and faith will see you through the days ahead. Sophie Grace is one blessed little girl.

 
At 9:21 AM , Blogger Luann said...

Becka, you have to be the best mommy in the world. You keep yourself very informed about the risks, complications, etc. that could arise with your pregnancy and awareness is so key. Sophie Grace has a most awesome mommy looking our for her.

I had an emergency c-section when I had Jim; and that was back in the "old" days. They do it much more quickly and with smaller incision than back then.

I do agree that a planned c-section would be much better if it's possible. Hang in there - the Lord is watching over you and Sophie Grace.

Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home