Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Friday, August 22, 2008

Hood to Coast

Well, my hubby and my oldest daughter have gone for the weekend to volunteer for Hood to Coast, the largest relay race on the planet. No, they're not running. DH's company, Jive Software here in Portland, has a team this year and DH decided to volunteer our giant 15 passenger party van to the cause, to trail the runners and transport the ones who have already ran, or who have yet to run.

My daughter has the task of running along side the runners every now and then to hand them much-needed water.

Now, if you've never heard of this relay, never fear, for some Hollywood bigwigs are actually filming a documentary of this race THIS YEAR. It will be released to theaters next year. Hey, maybe you'll see the red Goings party van if you go see it!

In short, this race is exactly what it sounds like - you start at Mt. Hood... and race until you hit the ocean in Seaside, about 2oo miles away. Obviously, it's a relay, so there are many runners per team, hence why my hubby volunteered our Dodge behemoth. Most teams merely have a minivan to port them 'round.

The race goes through the night, and the drivers and other volunteers pretty much can't sleep, for about 30 some hours. Gah, I hope my daughter will be all right! She's only 9. However, DH did manage to figure out they can get about 3 hours of sleep once they hit Portland on their way to the coast. Thank goodness for that!

So, I'm alone for the weekend, at least until Sunday, more than likely. The kids are excited, because that means we get to eat things we don't usually eat when the hubby is here, like frozen pizza and ravioli. YUMMY! I also went to Blockbuster and rented some movies for them to watch, and for me to watch after kids go to bed. :) Movies I know DH wouldn't touch with a 10' pole. :P Movies like - Fool's Gold, with Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson, P.S. I Love You, with Gerard Butler and Hilary Swank, and The Reign of the King, with Jason Statham.

You see, I've heard The Reign of the King was HORRIBLE and that it was directed by Uwe Boll, apparently, a gawd-awful director. But the movie has some decent people in it, it's a Medieval fantasy-esque type movie, and it's got Jason Statham. I really want to see this one, regardless of the level of sucky cheese. You see, I've long had a love affair with Mr. Statham that neither my hubby nor Mr. Statham know about. LOL

Well, I'm pretty sure my hubby suspects.... Heheh

Anyhow, we should have fun this weekend, even if we're "alone" for a few days. :)

~~Becka

1 Comments:

At 3:02 PM , Blogger Luann said...

Thom and I just watched "Fools Gold" yesterday. It's a bit of a corny romance story - but I like corny romances. It was funny and touching in parts. Plus, I have to admit, just watching McConaughey with no shirt on is a treat. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home