Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Friday, September 19, 2008

6 Months Pregnant!

Well, I'm now officially six months pregnant. :D Cool thing is, I still haven't gained any weight. My doctor is impressed and doesn't seem to be concerned. In fact, she says losing weight right now wouldn't be bad either, since I do have a lot more to lose in the long run.

I found a website that states adequate weight gain for a woman my "gestational age" is about 5 pounds in the first trimester, and one pound per week for the rest of the pregnancy. That would make me at about a 17 pound gain. Since I haven't gained at all, does that mean I'm losing weight as fast as I'm gaining, and therefore it's canceling itself out? Is my "true" weight 17 pounds lighter than what my scale reads right now?

Here is a breakdown of where the weight on a pregnant woman comes from:

* Baby = 7-8 pounds
* Increased breast size = 1-3 pounds
* Increase is uterus = 2 pounds
* Placenta = 1-2 pounds
* Fluid surrounding baby = 2 pounds
* Increase in blood supply = 3- pounds
* Fluid build up = 2-3 pounds
* Storage of fat = 6-8 pounds

Of course, this weight breakdown is when you're ready to give birth, as seen by the 7 to 8 pound baby. Right now, Sophie is only about a pound to a pound and a half, and about the size of a ruler from the top of her head to the bottom of her feet. :)

But even so, I'm still impressed at the lack of poundage on my body. I blame it on not being able to eat as much as I used to, due to squished stomach in my abby-domen. :P Seriously, I get FULL by eating just a scant amount of the foods I used to eat. I sometimes have to force myself to eat my snacks in order to keep my blood sugar up, because I'm just not hungry.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are things I used to love that I just can't do anymore. I can no longer have a tall glass of milk for any reason. Even drinking all the milk from my cereal bowl spikes my sugars like there's no tomorrow. It's the carbs. I can't (or shouldn't, because I do from time to time) have a whole bagel, as again, the carbs spike my sugars. Even just a scoop of rice can do me in. I have to be careful how much I take. I've even passed up the corn and refried beans on some meals I make for my family, because I just can't have too many carbs. It makes me sad because carbs are(were) my best friends. LOL

Despite not gaining any weight (yet), and despite crowing I could still fit into my small "fat" jeans, today I found out the bebe is a'growin'. I won't be able to wear my medium "fat" jeans for too much longer. I'm going to have to break down and buy some maternity pants. I bought some online, but one pair was out of stock (lovely) and the other pair was made by Omar the Tent Maker. :( So I have a couple of maternity shirts, but no pants. The store I can go to (maternity clothes for fat people) is in our local mall, but that's about 15 miles from here. UGH. Just don't want to drive that far! At least by myself. Maybe I should convince a friend to go on a shopping spree with me. Val? lol

Anyhow, just wanted to give you a baby update. Things are going fine for me, aside from the random Braxton Hicks contractions and ligament pain I get from time to time. I bought some yarn a couple of weeks ago to make the bebe a blankie, and I just finished crocheting that today! I was inspired, I guess, as it usually takes me longer to make an afghan. But it's made with a purple-ish pink-ish fuzzy yarn and accented with white. It was hard to work with due to the fuzz, but it's so beautiful. :) Maybe I'll post a picture of it at some point.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

~~Becka

2 Comments:

At 3:47 PM , Blogger Luann said...

Becka,
I would say you are doing exceedingly well in the non-weight gain department. And absolutely YES that means you are losing a goodly amount of weight. Pat yourself on the back (or the tummy) - you are awesome!!!!
Val, take this woman to the mall! :-D
Love, Mom

 
At 5:23 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Maternity pants- "Fisherman pants as a maternity pants"
.Because the butterfly and fisherman’s pants sit low on the waist, they don't interfere with the Mother’s growing belly ~ They feel so feminine, you will still feel quite sexy all the way through your pregnancy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home