Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Proud to be an American

After reading so many current events in our news recently, I've come to realize that we in America sometimes take our rights and privileges for granted.

Freedom of speech, for instance, to name a teddy bear any damn name we want to.

Our right to meet with men in public who are not relatives, and if we do happen to get gang raped along the way, we're not "blamed" for it -- and then flogged and jailed.

Good Lord. What the heck is wrong with the world today?

Sure, America has it's fair share of heinous and unforgivable crimes. But when it comes to our rights as citizens, we can take them for granted. Regardless of what you think of our president, the war in Iraq, or the state of things here at home, we Americans really do have it good. Our women don't have to dress from head to toe in black robes. We're not whipped or caned upon being punished by the court. Our women can VOTE and heck, campaign to become the leader of this country, or even be one of the richest women in the world. Our women can drive and talk to any stranger she likes. We're allowed to worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster if we so desire.

Yessiree, I'm proud to be an American, and regardless of their questionable life practices, I would kiss the Founding Fathers if I could.

~~Becka
http://www.RebeccaGoings.com

2 Comments:

At 9:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The state of the world is a little bit crazy right now.

We are very lucky to live in free societies. I'm extremely grateful to have lived most of my life in the U.S. and now I'm getting the opportunity to live another another great country. I'm actually becoming a Canadian citizen next Tuesday.
It's an extremely strange feeling, to pledge an oath of allegiance to another country. I never imagined my life would take a turn like that, and I never could have dreamed I would take another citizenship. I will never ever give up my U.S. citizenship, I am so proud of my country, and the values upon which it was founded. I have the utmost respect for her.
But, Canada is also my home, and it's time. Plus, I need to start having a say here. I've currently got taxation without representation going on!
All of that being said, I am also proud to be an American!! (I have a lot more to say on free societies and stuff...but we'll leave it at that! :))

 
At 6:45 AM , Blogger Jennifer McKenzie said...

Amen sistah. I've read those stories and I know a friend who considered the Spaghetti Monster.
America rocks!!!! Even in all its weirdness.
(I won't kiss the founding fathers. I have a cold.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home