Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Christian Hip-Hop

Okay folks, I'm going to go waaaaay out on a limb here to talk about something I ain't never yakked about before... Christian Hip-Hop. I LOVE IT!

So by now, it's no secret that I listen to Christian music. Frequent readers of this blog will remember HotW's that included Chris Tomlin and Michael W. Smith. Now, I have another new kick.

Let me tell you, this hit me by surprise, as I'm sure you've already guessed. I'm not a big fan of hip-hop in general. Sometimes the bass line drives me nuts or the melody is only four notes repeated over and over...and over--with some person singing lyrics that don't really go with that melody. In the past, I've liked Will Smith, but he's about it. However, he did a lot of rap, which I understand is a different genre. But I actually don't really know... Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Well, to start my little story, it all began with a movie called The Gospel. I rented it one evening because it looked like a cool Prodigal Son kinda movie. If you haven't seen it, it's about an African American family with strong roots in the church. Good GAWD it made me wanna be on a Southern Baptist choir, girlfriend! *snort* But the song that really caught my ... ear? was VICTORY by Yolanda Adams:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B0007XT8CQ001001/104-1990107-3813512

Wow, the girl can SANG! Love love love this song, and I even have it on my iPod and frequently belt out VICTORY while doing the dishes (and dancing, sadly) lol.

After I heard this song, I kinda lamented, because I love this kind of song, but have no idea where to start in the hip-hop Christian world to find more like it, because even the rest of Yolanda's songs doesn't sound like "that one."

Then the other day, I was listening to my local Christian radio station here in Portland, 104.1 The Fish, and they played a song by Mary Mary entitled SHACKLES (PRAISE YOU). Well hallelujah and pass the potato salad! A~N~O~T~H~E~R O~N~E!

As you may have already guessed, after hearing it ONCE on the radio, I immediately went on iTunes and bought the song, and it too now sits next to VICTORY on my iPod. Check it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B00004T0Q1001004/104-1990107-3813512

It might not sound like much on Amazon's crappy sampler thingy, but trust me, the song makes you want to go all Blues Brothers at Church! Praise the Lawd!

LOL!

If you're looking for something "different" in your library of Christian music (and who isn't? :P) then check out these two songs. And PLEASE tell me of any other awesome Hallelujah Hip-Hop for Him. *GRIN*




~~Becka
http://www.RebeccaGoings.com/

4 Comments:

At 11:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information about the movie, The Gospel. I'll check it out and the music, too!

 
At 8:51 PM , Blogger Denise Patrick said...

I don't know if you consider it hip-hop or not, but I love Toby Mac's Made to Love. I bought his entire album to get it and while it has some good songs on it, Made to Love is wonderful. It's on the album Portable Sounds.

 
At 10:25 PM , Blogger Becka said...

Thanks, Denise, but I've already done got Toby Mac! :P I LOVE that song, too. Yeah, I'm not sure if he's "hip hop" in the classic sense, but he's much better on his own now than he ever was with DC Talk, in my opinion, anyway. LOL

And yes, Made to Love is on my iPod too! hehe

~~Becka

 
At 8:21 AM , Blogger Becka said...

Found another one I like, "I Sings" by Mary Mary. There's some rap in there, and it's not as good as the others, admittedly, but it still gets your groove on. :P

~~Becka

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home