Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Silhouette Desire

Next year, when things settle down and I have no looming books to finish, I'm going to kick back and try my hand at writing a Silhouette Desire for Harlequin. I feel like my "voice" is suited to category romance rather than single title, and now that I have experience and a fanbase, I think I can pull it off. Recently, I wrote my query letter and my synopsis, as well as a blurb for my Desire-hopeful.

I'm probably not going to send it in for awhile, perhaps after the holidays. I want to be sure to give myself enough time to finish the book if/when the editors at Harlequin request a full.

My mother asked me the other day on the phone why I don't write for Harlequin. I really didn't have an answer for her, other than they rejected some of my earlier work and I've been too dang busy as of late to write anything for New York. Now that I have some downtime coming (hopefully lol), I'm hoping to break into the Big Boys.

For one, to see if I can do it, and second, I truly believe I can write a book worthy of their line. I'm not trying to be pretentious, but I'm just saying I believe my voice is category. I have lamented in the past that I would never rise to the ranks of the single title authors I know. The main reason being, if I had to write a 150,000 word novel, I think I would keel over dead. :P I much prefer the 50-55K range, exactly the range of the Desires. And my plots are very category-esque, so I think I'd be a shoe-in.

Now, if I can only convince Melissa Jeglinski, head editor of Silhouette Desire, that I walk on water... Heheheh

Here's the blurb of the book in question, entitled (tentatively) THE TEXAN'S SWEET SURRENDER:

Wealthy cattle baron, Zane Tucker, is unwilling to become saddled with a gold-digging bride. After his father's untimely death, Zane reverts to what he does best; riding the range with his cattle. That is, until his housekeeper gets hurt and Zane has to tend to everything himself, unless he can get some help fast. He’s grateful when his brother Ian lends him his housekeeper--until Zane finds she’s the one who got away.

Bethany Greene has landed the perfect job, housekeeper for the Tuckers, the wealthiest family in Texas. But Beth gets more than she’s bargained for when Ian sends her to the main house to step in for an injured housekeeper. Beth comes face to face with the very man she kissed into oblivion at the Rancher’s Ball five years ago and memories of his sultry mouth fill her every thought.

Zane is sure Beth is after more than a mere job, more like his bank account. But when Ian moves in on Beth, wild mustangs couldn’t tear Zane away from claiming what’s rightfully his.

~*~

Does that sound like a Desire? I sure hope so. The synopsis I wrote is one of my best, so I'm crossing my fingers, toes, legs, arms, eyes.... Say a few "lucky chickens" for me, mkay? :D I wanna be a Desire author! Let's hope one of these days, you'll see my name in your local grocery stores and Targets. Oh yeah, and those "bookstores". LOL

~~Becka
http://www.RebeccaGoings.com

1 Comments:

At 10:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

**Lucky Chicken Lucky Chicken Boom Boom Boom**

Seriously, that sounds good, I'd definitely read it.

Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home