Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Sunday, September 09, 2007

My Crazy Weekend

This weekend started like any other, looking forward to geeking out Friday evening with a table of friends, playing Age of Worms, our D&D campaign. If you don't know what that is, it's probably best if I keep you in the dark. lol

Anyhow, so I'm just finishing up dinner, like literally pulling it out of the oven, when my kids come in from outside crying up a storm. Great, I think to myself. One of them either A.) fell on the rocks, B.) fell on the porch, or C.) got their feelings hurt by OH MY GAWD!!

I turn around to look, and my second daughter, Miriam, is holding a bloodied hand, literally dripping on the floor. Immediately, I pull her to the faucet to see what's going on, when she starts screaming as soon as the water touches her wound. I take a look at it.

Holy crap.

Her fingernail is crooked. She has a gash on the side of the tip of her finger that is DEEP and looks as if it goes down to her bone. Due to the crooked fingernail, I yell at my oldest daughter to get DH--I think her sister broke her finger.

DH comes upstairs and offers to take her to the urgent care, which is a little ways away, but the co-pay is significantly cheaper than the ER. Anyhow, after thanking him up and down (because I once spent half the night in the ER with our youngest daughter for Walking Pneumonia... No fun), we wrap her hand in paper towels and away they go.

By this time, I'm interrogating my kids. What happened?

Apparently, she got her right-hand pointer finger caught in the back door of our daylight basement. The kids are NOTORIOUS for slamming the darn thing--it's a heavy door, the thing slams like a meat locker. I've told them time and time again not to slam it, well, more like yelled at them time and time again. I was at the point where I was >< this close to locking the door and telling them to only go outside through the upstairs sliding door to our deck. I literally had that thought Friday afternoon. I should have acted on it.

So, in the meantime, DH is having a hell of a time. The urgent care we always go to is GONE. Disappeared. When the hell did that happen?!? Geebus, where is there another one? It's already like 7:45pm, and they're only open until 8pm. I quickly think of another one that is fairly close, and away he goes. He calls me a little while later saying the nurse took a look at Miriam (because she was crying and bleeding, despite the fact there were many people already in the waiting room) and went to get the physician. He says something to the effect of, "Yup, you need to go to the ER."

Mother fu#$*@%"!

Anyhow, he decides to go to St. Vincent's, which is farther away than our local ER, but has a better pediatrics section, according to the doc. So off they go--again. Poor Miriam, it's been like an hour and a half since she hurt herself and she still hasn't been seen by anyone.

But the ER at St. V's is PACKED. DH said they gave him a *pager* to wear, like you get in crowded restaurants. There was literally about 100 people in the waiting room. In order to get Miriam in sooner, DH decided to have her seen by the nurse practitioner, not the "doctor". Since we all know how ER's work, I'll spare you the gory details and tell you that my daughter did, in fact, break her finger. She cracked the tip of her bone and pulled out half of the cuticle on her fingernail. In fact, they told DH she almost severed her fingertip. If the door had slammed any harder... **shudder**

They stitched her up (which is a whole other story) and told us she needs to see a plastic surgeon on Monday. The reason being, I guess when you rip out your fingernail at the cuticle (the root) it doesn't quite grow back right, if at all. They didn't want to pull it out the rest of the way, because there was a good chance she might never have a fingernail left on that finger if they did--for the rest of her life. She's only 7, folks. The plastic surgeon will be able to tell me tomorrow what he thinks we should do. Worst case, she loses a nail, perhaps for life. Best case, she can keep her nail, but it might have a funky ridge on it.

And now, she'll have a cool scar to tell war stories with.

Aside from all this, she has a splint on her finger, Tylenol with Codeine, a medication to stop infection, and a great attitude. She's a real trooper. I think she must have a high tolerance for pain. Despite driving around half of Hillsboro and Beaverton, she wasn't crying and wailing the entire time, and really only cried when they stitched her.

The really sad thing is, she had asked me (before this all happened) when dinner was going to be ready because she said she was starving. Then, of course, she hurts herself right before dinner and rushes off, only to wait hours and hours for someone to get their butt in gear. DH stopped by Mickey D's on his way home, and she wolfed down her Happy Meal a little after midnight.

:(

Poor little thing.

~~Becka

8 Comments:

At 9:24 AM , Blogger Savannah Chase said...

Oh my goodness that is horrible. i'm so sorry to hear you and the family had such a bad weekend. Poor thing must have been freaked out. I do hope she heals up quickly and it all turns out okay..Take care and take it easy...

 
At 9:27 AM , Blogger Kat Hall said...

Oh, Becka. (((HUGS))) for everyone. I had my entire large toenail ripped off when I was a kid. Caught it in the spikes of the tricycle. It grew back with no problems. It was just hanging by a thread and they yanked it off. That was very painful, especially when trying to walk and it was summertime. Try to keep a kid off their feet in the summertime. Hope everything goes fine for her.

 
At 10:06 AM , Blogger Phyllis Campbell said...

Oh, I feel for you. I've been through something like that...excecpt my daughter was seen quicker than that. I felt so awful because I was the woosey one. I was the one who couldn't stand to see my daughter bleeding and nail hanging out. UGH! I can handle seeing my DH bleed...but not my kids. I almost passed out. LOL

~Phyllis~

 
At 10:29 AM , Blogger Cindy K. Green said...

Uuuuh Becka! I haven't been through anything like that (yet)! I can tell you my 9 y/o son would have been wailing. Good for Miriam. Hope she heals up well.

 
At 1:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, hon, I'm glad it wasn't worse. That sounds wretched.

 
At 5:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds terrible. :( I'll be praying for her.

Any plans on replacing that door?

 
At 6:43 PM , Blogger Phylis said...

Poor baby. ((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))) for you and yours. An extra special one for your trooper of a daughter.
That is really scary. Sucks big time to have to wait that long.

 
At 9:59 PM , Blogger Becka said...

Good news is... She gets to keep her fingernail.

Doctor said today that he doesn't have to pull it out, and it will most likely fall out on its own when the new nail grows in behind it. He also mentioned the nail will probably have a ridge on it or look strange, not smooth like a normal nail should. Miriam crushed where the cuticle grows underneath the skin. He thought it would still grow normally, but perhaps with a ridge.

I have no idea if that is going to be permanent or what. We shall see, I guess.

Her wound was pretty gnarly in there, though. It was all swollen and black and blue. She's getting her stitches out next week, and having a follow-up appointment in two weeks.

Anyhow, she still has to wear the splint. Doc didn't say for how long. Should have asked. Ah well. Probably until she goes to see him again. But all is well. :)

~~Becka

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home