Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Thursday Thirteen ~ Becka's Favorite Movies


Thirteen Things about Rebecca Goings


(in no particular order)

1. Lord of the Rings (because it's really
one LONG epic movie, rather than
three separate ones)

2. The Prince of Egypt ~ Cartoon? Yes.
Awesome? Oh yeah. First movie
I've seen that makes God
a character and accurately
portrays His anger. And the way they
depicted His miracles was very
powerful.

3. Titanic ~ Not because I
love Leo, but because it
was a very well done movie.
I still remember gasping in the
theater when it transitioned from the old,
rusted hulk on the sea floor to beautiful
ship moored at the dock...

4. Spaceballs ~ Mel Brooks
Need I say more?

5. History of the World, Part I ~ Ditto above

6. The Ten Commandments ~ Chuck Heston

7. Ben Hur ~ Chuck Heston; again

8. The Princess Bride ~ Obvious

9. Labyrinth ~ David Bowie's Codpiece!

10. The Neverending Story ~ Nostalgia

11. Ever After ~ There's just something
about this movie. It's not overly great, but I
could watch it again and again.

12. Dragonheart ~ Another movie that
isn't *spectacular*, but really touched
me. Draco was the inspiration
behind Mynos the Dragon from
The Legends of Mynos. And the soundtrack
was so awesome, it was used again
and again in other movie trailers. If
you haven't seen the movie, you will
still recognize the soundtrack. Look it up on
Amazon.
(check out track #9)

13. Chronicles of Narnia ~ The Lion,
The Witch, & The Wardrobe
~ As a
kid who endlessly searched for
the entrance into Narnia, how
could I NOT include this one? :P





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!






13 Comments:

At 9:59 AM , Blogger Angela James said...

Another blog had 8,9,10 mentioned today. I said it there, I've never seen the allure of the Princess Bride. I know, I know. Inconceivable ;)

 
At 10:22 AM , Blogger Becka said...

Good Lord, woman! Blasphemer! lol

I think those who love the movie so much now loved it as kids. If you didn't see it or love it as a kid, you probably won't see the "draw" of the movie. Since Fred Savage is only a little younger than myself, I was able to "relate" to him as the sick kid with the grandpa reading to him.

Throw in the fact that Grandpa is reading a *love story*, which is what I've always wanted to write, and the great one-liners, you have a movie that kind of transcends "movie-dom" and is elevated into "cult" status.

I mean seriously. When DH leaves for work, the kids all say, "Have fun storming the castle!"

The movie is chock full of other quotes: "Good night, Westley, good work. I'll most likely kill you in the morning."

"As . . . you . . . wish!"

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

"Do you want me to send you back to where you came from? Unemployed in Greenland?"

"No more rhymes now, I mean it!"
"Anybody want a peanut?"

:P

See, you've got to be a *geek* to understand the draw of The Princess Bride. At least in my geeky circle of friends, we are constantly quoting the movie throughout our friendly banter. Why? Because just like the Bible, there's pretty much a Princess Bride quote for every life situation. LOL

And if you don't know the movie by heart, you're not an Uber Geek (echo echo). :P

(please see my comic blog for more info on Uber Geek status: http://theguffaw.blogspot.com)

~~Becka

 
At 11:39 AM , Blogger Brenda said...

I like The Princess Bride, too. Actually, I like your list.

The immediate movies that comes to mind that you haven't got on your list are: Ladyhawke, Krull, & Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. There are more, but I've just watched these recently.

 
At 11:44 AM , Blogger Jaci Burton said...

I love Mel Brooks movies!

Narnia was fabulous. I could watch it over and over again.

And the Princess Bride is a classic. Still love watching it.

 
At 11:45 AM , Blogger Becka said...

Ah yes, those are all good ones. Mmm, Ladyhawke. Gotta love them shifters. That whole concept is a plot I wish I'd thought up. LOL :D

~~Becka

 
At 1:20 PM , Blogger Melissa Schroeder said...

I can watch the Princess Bride over and over, never gets old!
I came up with reasons I like being a romance author:)

 
At 1:48 PM , Blogger Tilly Greene said...

Great list Becka! All of this has me in the mood for a glut of the old favorites :-)

 
At 1:52 PM , Blogger Michelle Pillow said...

For me, it was David Bowie's eyeshadow, LMAO!!

 
At 5:19 PM , Blogger Becka said...

That's awesome, Michelle. Labyrinth is where I got the name "Jareth" for the evil twin in HEARTS ETERNAL... :P He's getting his own story of redemption you know. Coming out with Samhain on November 27th. HEARTS UNBOUND.

I can't wait!!

~~Becka

 
At 6:57 PM , Blogger TunnelVision said...

Hi Beka,
Very cool indeed.

You are welcome to read and comment on my blog:

Synopsis of a new post 9/11 thriller-

Most of the English thrillers have predominately western focus and I am trying to give an Asian perspective, back ground and motivation. Most of the action takes place in India, Pakistan and Afghanistan. The plot is set in motion by an ambitious, exiled communist hardliner having strong links with Afghan warlords and Pakistani chieftains. Greedy deal makers, antique smugglers and undercover agents complicate the matrix as few innocent lives are changing for ever.

 
At 8:34 PM , Blogger Tempest Knight said...

Oh, I bought Spaceballs, History of the World, Part I, and Blazing Saddles. I love those Mel Brook movies!

 
At 9:50 PM , Blogger Kate Davies said...

Love, love, love the Princess Bride. Great list!

 
At 1:49 AM , Blogger Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Those are great movies! I wonder if the movie Dragonheart is where my breeder got my name from?

My humans favourite movies on your list are 1, 4, 8, 9, and 13, especially The Lord of the Rings and The Princess Bride.

Thanks for visiting!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home