Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I Wish I Had Something Pleasant to Blog

I wish I could blog about rainbows or butterflies or cotton candy, childhood, dandylions or bank errors in my favor. But life is cruel, and every now and again it smacks you upside the head and makes you realize you aren't immortal after all.

My editor at Samhain Publishing, Teri Smith, passed away today. She was taken to the hospital Sunday evening after suffering a massive heart attack. She'd been sick and on bed rest due to other issues, and to have this happen was shocking to say the least. I was just talking to her myself on the phone just a few days ago, ironing out some edits for one of my books.

My thoughts and prayers go out to her friends and family, and the entire "family" at Samhain. Teri was a great lady with a lot of spunk. Even though I didn't know her for long, she left a mark on my life. She earned my respect for being an uber geek, just like me, loving sci-fi and fantasy and being able to talk about DragonCon with a straight face. Or heck, even knowing what "DragonCon" even is.

Teri is the one who signed my Legends of Mynos series to Samhain, as well as Jareth's story, HEARTS UNBOUND. She even co-wrote a book with one of her best friends, JeanMarie Ward, entitled WITH NINE YOU GET VANYR.



Isn't that cover GORGEOUS?? At least she got to see her beautiful cover before she passed. When we were on the phone last week, she told me all about the wonderful world she built with JeanMarie. I intend on buying her book and reading it.

For the short time I knew her, Teri was a great friend and editor. She will be greatly missed. As much as her passing saddens me, I cannot help but rejoice for her, because now, she's in a much better place, with no pain and no sorrow. We on Earth mourn her loss, but those in Heaven celebrate their gain.

~~Becka

2 Comments:

At 5:56 PM , Blogger Becka said...

Thank you, Lisa. It was indeed shocking and sad. But we at Samhain rallied around her hubby (also an author at Samhain) and her best friend Jean Marie. I'm so very lucky to be published at a house like Samhain. :)

~~Becka

 
At 8:57 PM , Blogger Von Allan said...

This is very sad. My wife and I had only spoken with her on LiveJournal, but we had actually hoped to meet her at the Small Press Expo a few weeks back in Bethesda. She was too ill to go, though, and I had hoped that maybe next year we could meet her instead. Sadly, that's not to be.

From the brief discussions we had had with her she was a pretty special lady, so I'm hoping those around her are doing as well as can be hoped.

Von

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home