Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Thursday, August 24, 2006

And Then There Were Eight

Scientists decide Pluto’s no longer a planet - Space News - MSNBC.com

:( Today is a sad day. Probably won't effect me much beyond stepping on my childhood. :P

But scientists have finally ended the debate--Pluto is no longer a planet.

Why does this "step on my childhood"? Well, when I was a kid, I LOVED the planets and stars. In fact, until I realized my calling was writing books, I wanted to be an astronomer. I had books and books of the solar system, the galaxy, the sun, etc. I have learned there are NINE planets in our solar system. Blue from Blue's Clues even has a catchy little ditty about the planets. :P

**sniffle**

Under this new definition, they are making Pluto a "dwarf" planet, which also includes an object in the Asteroid Belt as well as that disputed object floating beyond Pluto AND Pluto's moon. Guess we gotta prepare for our solar system getting "bigger" while also getting "smaller".

The funny thing is? Pluto has been a "planet" since 1930, 76 years. In the grand scheme of things, Pluto hasn't even been a planet for *half a year* in Pluto's time. Pluto's yearly rotation is 248 Earth years. :P Literally a drop in the bucket.

~~Becka

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home