Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Sicktastic

Welp, every year this happens. Someone in the family gets sick, and it spreads throughout the house like wildfire.

All the kids had fevers last week, and we battled that. Now this week, they're all coming down with colds. Miriam is the only one that it hasn't effected yet. But my oldest, Hannah, has a big frog in her throat. Poor thing sounds like she's been smokin' for forty years!

I rarely get sick, and if I do get sick, it's mild. Today, I woke up with a mild sore throat and a headache. I'm hoping it won't escalate into full-blown sickyness. But lately, I've been having dizzy spells, short ones, but it's alarming. No, I'm not pregnant, so please don't jinx me in that regard.

But two years ago, I was struck by an affliction called "Acute Labyrinthitis". Unfortunately, this is not a sickness where David Bowie and his codpiece come to kidnap you back to the Goblin City. Darn it all. :( No, this is a malady that is a "cold" in your inner ear, attacking the "labyrinth", the term doctors use for that nifty little fluid-filled thingy that affects your balance. Needless to say, you have extreme dizziness and vertigo. It's horrid.

To treat this illness, the doctor can't do much for you. Therefore, to save you from a trip to the doc, the icky paperwork, the co-pay, and deductible that you might have to fork over, I'll just tell you the treatment.

Dr. Goings is IN.

Meclizine. That is what you need. It is an over-the-counter motion sickness drug that people usually buy for long car trips. It costs maybe $4.99 a bottle. Save your money and trust Dr. Goings. Labyrinthitis goes away after about a week or so. Until then, don't operate any heavy machinery.

Anyway, as I was saying, I've been getting dizzy spells lately and I think it's coming back. I got it last year again as well. I guess once you get it, it's "chronic". Dammit. My dizzy spells aren't that bad right now. And if I treat them with Meclizine, they won't become worse. But if you don't treat it with some kind of drug, you will need a barf bag. Literally. Labyrinthitis doesn't fool around. I learned that the hard way two years ago. **shudders**

Let's just hope this crappola goes away. I hate being dizzy. Then again, it gives me an excuse to get out of doing housework to sit still on the computer all day. :P

Pass the meds!

~~Becka

2 Comments:

At 5:54 PM , Blogger Mary said...

Wow, That is terrible. I hope the over the counter stuff works for you!

 
At 9:52 PM , Blogger Becka said...

Thanks, Mary. As the day wore on, I got worse and worse. Took a two hour nap today that felt like 5 minutes. Rolled over, looked at the clock and was like UGH, I need to get up. :(

I feel now like I'm right on the edge of a dizzy spell, and I can also feel my head's all weird. lol It's not stuffy like when you have a cold, but you can just feel it in there, it's hard to explain.

I hope it goes away soon. :(

~~Becka

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home