Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #28 - 13 Things I've Accomplished In 2007



It took me a long time to think of a topic today. Hopefully, I have 13 things to tell you about this time around... :P

13 Things I've Accomplished in 2007

1.) I celebrated the release of *8* books through both Champagne and Samhain Publishing. While that sounds like a problem any aspiring author would love to have, believe me, it was hell trying to promote them while going on vacations, schooling the kids, doing errands, and trying to keep the house tidy while putting food on the table. ACK!

2.) I wrote (or finished) 5 books. The books I wrote from start to finish in 2007 are: HIGH NOON, TOMB, & NATURE OF THE B*E*A*S*T. The books I merely finished this year are THE WOLVERINE AND THE FLAME and PROMISE ME FOREVER.

3.) I believe I doubled, if not tripled, my reading audience (the fans). Woohoo! :)

4.) I landed a contract with Cobblestone Press for their Vampire Oracle continuity series with TOMB.

5.) I "came out" to my community after I became a quasi-local celebrity after my name and picture were in the paper, the Hillsboro Argus, not to mention landing a guest spot on a local talk radio show. Now, the people I see at the grocery store, my kids' karate dojo, and my neighbors know I'm a romance author. :P

6.) I made a lot of new friends through venues like MySpace and Gather.com that I wouldn't have made otherwise, such as authors Paula Quinn and Dean Koontz. (Yes, I've actually had a conversation with these people. lol, not just random MySpace friends.)

7.) I doubled the amount of members on my author loop, The Magic of Romance.

8.) I doubled the amount of members on my newsletter loop, Rebecca Goings Newsletter.

9.) I doubled the amount of books in my backlist.

10.) I managed to make Becka's Babble a somewhat successful blog with an average of about 25 visitors a day. Not wonderful, but it doesn't suck, either. :P

11.) I won the 2006 Author of the Year Award from Champagne Books - true, it was an award for the previous year, but I WON it in 2007. :D



12.) HIGH NOON made a brief appearance on Samhain Publishing's "My Bookstore and More" eBook store's Top 10 Best Sellers for the last week of Nov./first week of Dec. 2007. I think it made it all the way up to #8. At such a large house like Samhain, I was thrilled to be in the top 10 best sellers!

13.) I landed the cover feature for first issue of The Brass Spectacle, a new magazine that will specifically highlight the eBook industry (which you can see if you follow the link to their website). True, the first issue won't "hit stands" until March of 2008, however, they are already marketing the issue and I've already sent them an article and an interview to be published. The cool thing about it all? I didn't even ask to be featured. THEY approached ME. Does that mean I've "made it" as an author? One can only hope... :)

~~Becka
http://www.RebeccaGoings.com

7 Comments:

At 11:43 AM , Blogger Donica Covey said...

Sure. Make some of us feel as if we've dropped the ball. Dang ya! Just keep rubbin' it in...ROFLMAO

Seriously, I'm mighty proud of you Chicka. You've worked darn hard and you should be crowing your accomplishments across the 'net.

I know that 2008 won't be quite so busy for you so you'll be able to relax a little and revel in your success.

Of course you won't be content to sit back. The upcoming works sound FANTASTIC!

Luv ya Babe!
Huggles,
Donica

 
At 1:25 PM , Blogger Jennifer McKenzie said...

WOW! I knew you'd had a busy year, but you've KICKED ASS!
Awesome, Becka.

 
At 2:22 PM , Blogger tickledpink.nicole said...

2007 has treated you well. Many kudos! You clearly have an amazing gift!

 
At 2:23 PM , Blogger cindy kay said...

Wow. Congratulations! I'm in awe that an ordinary nice person (which it sounds like you are) is having such great publishing success. Here's to many more successes in the future!

 
At 10:39 PM , Blogger Becka said...

LOL Donica. Perhaps I should rename this blog to Becka's Braggle? :P

Thanks, Jennifer. Yeah, I didn't realize how "awesome" it all was until I began remembering things that happened, thinking, oh yeah, oh YEAH! Hehe

Nicole, thank you for your kind words. *blush* I've always thought that being an author is like being an artist, yet painting with words and the imagination, rather than paints and brushes. The better your story/characters/prose, the more beautiful the "painting". :)

Mom Huebert - I hope I'm a nice person! I try to be every day of my life, of course, I'm a people-pleaser, so you could run me over with a car and I'd probably say, "Don't worry about it, I was totally in the way!" *snicker*

The only time I EVER really get aggressive is when I drive. Oh, I'm a beeyotch on the road, you betcha. Once, I passed this slow-poke on the right, because he was in the fast lane just poking along and I was in a hurry to get somewhere. Yes, I realize passing on the right is kinda rude, but what are you going to do when someone doesn't get out of your way?

So I'm passing him, and just like any other "Oh no you don't!" butt monkey on the road, he speeds up. Therefore, I speed up. He's trying to keep up with me, and I say under my breath, "Okay, butt monkey, you wanna break the law? Let's break the law together, shall we?" and I proceeded to gas on it!

Needless to say our little game of "chicken" ended with ME as the victor. Yeeehaww! We won't talk about the fact that I was doing like 75 in a 55 zone...

But seriously, what's up with that? You try to pass someone and they speed up. Uhm, hello, you finally GET THE FRICKEN' HINT?!? Speeding up is what I wanted you to do when I was BEHIND YOU, ya moron!

~~Becka

 
At 8:28 PM , Blogger Nicholas said...

Congratulations on a successful year!

 
At 2:02 PM , Blogger Denise Patrick said...

Well, I'm a week late - cuz last week was not a great week. But, congratulations on all your accomplishments. I hope 2008 will be just as good.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home