Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #9 ~ You Know You're Old When...



I've noticed a few things about myself in the last couple of years that have made me go "Hmm...". Actually, it was more like "OMFG, I'm getting fricken' OOOLLLDDD!!!" Can you relate? :)

You know you're old when:

1. You find gray in your hair. And not just one strand. Multiple strands. You try plucking them out, but the damned things GROW BACK! So you try to color your hair to cover them until you finally surrender, wearing your gray as a badge of honor. Or at least, that's what you tell yourself.

2. You suddenly begin to like coffee when you're entire life was spent gagging at the taste of it. Yup, this one happened to me. I became a coffee drinker over Easter weekend this year. When the heck did this happen? I've always LOVED the smell of the stuff, but never EVER the taste, not even with cream and sugar. Then I had a few white chocolate mochas at Starbucks which are YUMMY, and suddenly, I've learned the magic of Coffeemate creamer... Now, coffee is a staple of my (and DH's) mornings.

3. People call you ma'am. I realize people do this without thinking, as it's just something to say when you don't know a woman's name. But what about "Miss"? Unfortunately for me, I haven't been called "Miss" in a coon's age. Probably why I love going to the local Mexican joint, because at least those Mexican servers call me "Senorita", regardless of my hubby and gaggle of rugrats.

4. With each child you have, your body stretches even more out of shape. So I was never "in shape" to begin with. I've always been "fat" and overweight my whole life. But I look at pictures of myself before I had my kids and I weep.

5. Your legs look like a roadmap. "Oh hey, is that the Georgia turnpike?" No, you idiot, it's my veiny legs! I don't know what happened, but after incubating my four spawn, I've got veins poking out their heads all over the damn place. And am I the only one who's foot looks like hamburger? I swear, it literally looks like I have a sprained ankle through all the "bruises" on my foot. Nope, just those damned veins my spawn decided to rupture for me.

6. After you've had said spawn, your body no longer acts like it used to. Once you've given birth, ain't no goin' back. Things are stretched ain't supposed to be stretched. No longer can I "hold it" as well as I used to. 'Nuff said.

7. You shudder at the thought of wearing a thong or any other kind of lacey, chafing undies you might have to dig out of unmentionable crevices, in favor of either A.) cotton briefs or B.) Granny Panties.

8. You think cotton briefs couldn't possibly BE Granny Panties. Which again, of course, is a lie we tell ourselves. Because men view any panty that isn't a thong, lingerie, or one of Victoria's Secrets as a "Granny Panty".

9. You can no longer shop at Victoria's Secret because the "secret" is it's only for skinny women. It's a "Granny Panty" catch-22.

10. Your kids talk to you about things you have no fricken' clue what they're talking about. You're not even sure if they're speaking English. And this is a sad moment, when you realize you are no longer "hip", "cool", or "in the know". You've become an "adult" who doesn't understand the "kids". I think I actually had a moment of silence when this happened to me. Shocked silence. Like with my jaw on the floor. I think I heard crickets.

11. You enjoy watching the news. Remember the days of "Oh, man, Mom and Dad turned on the news"? Yeah, say goodbye to those days, you fogie. You've become your parents.

12. Your body starts creaking and aching in places you'd need an anatomy book to name. Knees, shoulders, back, neck... Whatever it is, your body is yelling at you, "You're OLD, man! Quit doing sh*t like you're a 17-year-old."

13. You find older men extremely attractive. When you were a kid, I doubt you were looking at men above their 30's. Now, you're drooling over men upwards of 50-60-70+. Yup. You've become one of those "yucky" old folk who love to have sex.

And there you have it, 13 ways you know you're fricken' OLD.

~~Becka



13 Comments:

At 8:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny stuff. Now come back when you're facing your 50th. The list gets worse, I promise :o)

 
At 8:50 AM , Blogger Becka said...

LOL, Ciar! Perhaps I will...

~~Becka

 
At 8:52 AM , Blogger Amanda Young said...

Cute list. I'm right with you on number 2. I always hated coffee growing up, didn't know how anyone could drink the foul stuff. Then, I found caramel creamer. Now I can't get enough of it. *g*

 
At 9:05 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Coffee Mate is the best; especially around Christmas when they have the gingerbread and pepperming mocha flavors! Loved you list. As far as the cotton briefs, there is a way to stay a litle young in that area....buy the Victoria's Secret cotton briefs!

 
At 9:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know you're old when you bitch about the crappy remakes the young punks are doing of "classic" songs.

 
At 9:23 AM , Blogger Becka said...

LOL Dana, did ya read #9?

9. You can no longer shop at Victoria's Secret because the "secret" is it's only for skinny women. It's a "Granny Panty" catch-22.

I doubt Victoria's Secret carries "tent" size.

~~Becka

 
At 9:31 AM , Blogger Gail Martin said...

LOL! You have maintained your sense of humor about it.

 
At 9:38 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Im old!! Hahaha!

Good list for the week

 
At 9:50 AM , Blogger Bianca D'Arc said...

LMAO! This is depressing. ;-)

Bianca
http://biancadarc.blogspot.com/

 
At 11:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, I'm not all there yet, lol... but, I've been going gray slowly since I was twelve... stress, ugh ;)

 
At 12:45 PM , Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Oh, I've been grey to some degree since I was 21. It's not something I sweat anymore.

The rest of it... yeah, I resemble some. Not all. I hope I die at the ripe old age of 104 -- wearing a thong.

Happy TT!

 
At 3:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOLOL! When my son plays hard rock songs I cringe and think (but don't say) turn that crap down.

 
At 7:22 PM , Blogger Michelle Pillow said...

Too funny!! My plan is to never know I went gray. Yep, I'll just keep coloring it and live in denial. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home