Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Bronwyn Jameson is My Hero

I'm sure a few of you have heard of this author, Bronwyn Jameson. On a whim, I checked out one of her books at the library because it was a contemporary cowboy story in the line I want to write for, Silhouette Desire. It just so happens this book was set in the Australian Outback. Awesome.

Little did I know the book I read was the first in a series. It was entitled THE RUGGED LONER. Soon after, I went back to the library and checked out the other two books in the series, THE RUTHLESS GROOM and THE RICH STRANGER. All I can say is:

"WOW!"

lol

These books are what you might expect from a romance with angst and misunderstandings and all those things. But what got me with Bronwyn's writing is the emotion. The showing vs. telling. The beauty of her prose. I love the way she tells a story. Silhouette Desires are between 50K and 55K words. That might sound like a lot, but these books are pretty thin if you've ever seen them at the store. What impresses me about Ms. Jameson's work is the amount of emotion and depth she's able to capture in such a small word count. I've read a lot of categories to get into the swing of them (as I'm planning on writing one at some point), and she's one author who stands out to me as someone who really knows her craft well.

I decided to pick up another of her books that was outside of this series just to see if it could compare to them. The book I chose was JUST A TASTE, a book in another series by a whole bunch of Desire authors about the Ashton Dynasty. While the book started out slow (as I have no interest in wine making :P), the emotion and angst were still there between the main characters.

The tension in her stories is thick and the way she writes it is like savoring a fine Swiss chocolate amongst the Hershey bars. While we all love the Hershey's, sometimes it's so wonderful to indulge in the expensive, glorious chocy. :)

I believe I've found a new favorite author. If you want to check out her books for yourself, you can find Ms. Jameson on the 'Net at www.BronwynJameson.com.

~~Becka
http://www.RebeccaGoings.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home