Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

25!

Good Lord, I don't know what I'm doing, but these pounds seem like they're melting away. In fact, I'm almost worried at how rapidly I'm losing. However, perhaps it's due to the fact my body is trying to adjust to this new diet and the extra things I'm doing to take the weight off.

It's shocking because I freely admit I don't exercise every day like I should. This past week has been particularly bad for me - I've hardly gone out and walked at all. However, running down the short hill on our cul-de-sac with my youngest daughter teaching her how to ride has probably helped out in that regard. :)

I fully expect to plateau soon, and in fact, I've already had one about 11 pounds ago. For over a week and a half, I was stuck, not losing, not gaining. I have no idea what I did to break through that plateau, but perhaps with this diet my metabolism is changing.

When you're losing weight, the first few pounds are always the "easiest", as you kind of shock your system. It isn't until you get to say... pound 100 that you're finally feeling the burn. So far, I've lost about 15% of what I need to lose. But I'm finally seeing results in the mirror. You know how it is, everyone can see results but *you*.

Well, I wanted to lose 25 pounds by Easter. Done!

Next goal, please. Okay, how about another 25 by the end of May? We're going on a camping trip with our circle of friends and I would LOVE to tell them I've lost 50 pounds.

But that's assuming this rapid weight loss continues. I've lost 25 pounds in 51 days. To quote my dietitian, "Dang, do you EAT?" lol Perhaps it's the combination of eating less, being active more, and taking Metformin. She says that drug is an appetite suppressant and she's seen doctors prescribe it to people who need to lose weight. DH says I'm "cheating". :P

Hell, I'll cheat my way to thin any damn day of the week!

~~Becka
http://www.RebeccaGoings.com

5 Comments:

At 9:48 AM , Blogger Joleine said...

Dude.. you need to send me your diet/menu plan... and sneak some of those magic pills in there 'eh? :)

No seriously, what are you guys eating? I try try try to eat better, less, walk more.. etc.. and gain weight!

But honestly, I think it's so awesome that you're doing so good with all of this! You seem much more energetic and happy too!

 
At 12:02 PM , Blogger Becka said...

I drink more water, try not to drink so much soda, even if the dietitian says diet drinks are freebies.

I happen to love veggies (good thing), so when dinner rolls around, I try to put more veggies on my plate than meat/potatoes. If we're having steak or chicken breasts, I cut the meat (for myself) into smaller portions. A big rib-eye, for example, gets halved, and I cut about 1/3rd of a chicken breast off and only eat 2/3rds of it.

I take a small spoonful of mashed potatoes, or if eating baked, make sure the potato is no bigger than a computer mouse. I've cut out rolls altogether, but just recently, snuck only one on my plate, unbuttered.

I only allow myself one cup of pasta or one cup of rice when serving those, and make sure I eat breakfast every day, by measuring portions. One cup of Honey-Nut Cheerios and one cup of 1% milk actually fills a small bowl, and if I eat it with a smaller spoon than jumbo, I feel more satisfied. If I do ice cream (which I do) I get the sugar free kind and have one small scoop.

I buy whole wheat/grain everything, pasta, bread, crackers, chips. Costco has these excellent chips I can show you next time you're over.

When I make a sandwich, I load the veggies so they fill me, I put dressing on the side for salads (most of the time) and try to just dip my bites instead of having them drenched.

I still eat cheese, tho. Can't be like my sister who rarely eats cheese. I just love cheese too much.

And every weekend, I "cheat" just a bit, with maybe one more scoop of ice cream, a fattier dinner, a little extra something. You can't deny yourself all the time. And I've found that those weekly jumps off the wagon don't sabotage the weight loss at all.

And make sure you eat 3 meals 3 snacks daily. NO grazing between meals. Hungry? Drink a full glass of water. It will definitely tide you over. If you don't like plain water, get the flavored kind, or get some Crystal Lite. Man cannot live by soda alone. :P

I'd say I try to keep my daily calorie intake to about 1500 - 1800 calories a day. Fruits and veggies are very filling and not that calorie-rich.

And watch the carbs. I do 45 grams of carbs a meal and 15 grams of carbs per snack. So something I might not be able to eat for a snack, like a blueberry muffin, I can have for breakfast, usually 2 blueberry muffins. You get used to it. :)

~~Becka

 
At 10:01 PM , Blogger Rosie said...

Boy I needed to read something like this today. Reading about someone making goals is so encouraging. Congrats on 25!

 
At 9:00 AM , Blogger Becka said...

I think eating breakfast every day has helped me a lot. You'd think by skipping it, you'd save yourself X amount of calories, but in reality, I think not eating regularly slows down your metabolism. If you eat breakfast, then your body is more in tune to lose that weight.

Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. :)

~~Becka

 
At 3:57 AM , Blogger LisaBisa said...

Wow, that is awesome, good for you!

I'll definitely have to follow some of your tips.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home