Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Monday, March 10, 2008

20!

Stepped on the scale yesterday morning only to find I'd reached the 20lb. mark. :D Yup, I've lost 20 pounds! Not too much, but a big step toward getting healthy and doing right by my body. When I lose 10 more, I'll be at the same point I was at when I finally gave up on my Weight Watchers a year and a half ago.

But this diet is much different than WW. While WW is cool in that you count points and can eat anything your heart desires, my diet focuses on cutting fat and watching carbs. Yeah, I was a little shocked when my dietitian told me I needed to watch carbs rather than sugars for things that really skyrocket my blood sugar. So, for meals, I am allowed 45 grams of carbs and for snacks, 15 grams of carbs. Three meals, three snacks a day.

Now, I do have to be careful, because even though I meet my 45 carbs for a meal, things like cheese and meats don't have carbs, but they can still be fatty. Since my weight is compounding the diabetes problem, I have to lose weight as well as watch my carb intake, thus the need to also be eating low or non-fat.

But I draw the line at non-fat milk. We've made the switch to 1% milk rather painlessly (we used to drink 2%), but it will be a cold day in Hell before I drink milk-flavored water. **shudder** But we do have the non-fat cottage cheese and the non-fat sour cream on hand.

I've managed to cut chips completely out of my children's lunch meals. Now, they only eat chips if we happen to go out somewhere for lunch. They have their sandwiches and a piece of fruit, usually, or a handful of Goldfish, which is actually not that bad fat & carb wise. Sometimes they have graham crackers or raisins as well, but they really love having bananas, apples, oranges and nectarines on hand. :) Still working on their veggies, though. They all seem to love raw carrots, but then again, they all loved carrot baby food back in the day and they all turned a lovely orange hue... no joke. LOL

But anyway, I now (again) fit into my slimmer jeans I had hidden (again) in the back of my closet. :P However I need to lose another few pounds before I can wear them comfortably in public. Heheh

Walked today while the kids were at karate class. Did a few laps at the Noble Woods Park, which is a nature park right in the middle of Hillsboro. I circled the entire paved section three times "power" walking, which actually wasnt that bad, even though there were a few hills to climb. If you keep up a good pace, going up those hills doesn't "hurt" as much, of course, perhaps I'm building some stamina. Here's hopin'. :P

~~Becka
http://www.RebeccaGoings.com

3 Comments:

At 10:03 PM , Blogger Rosie said...

Congratulations! Losing weight and changing your eating habits is hard and a life long work in progress.

I'm doing the weight loss challenge at work (Lu is too) and am working to lose 20 lbs by May.

 
At 2:09 PM , Blogger Becka said...

Thanks, Rosie. :) That walk I took yesterday made some of my muscles achy! Didn't have the kids with me so I was able to go at a good aerobic pace. It helped that I was listening to my iPod at the time. I don't think I would have made it without the fast-paced music pushing me along. It really does make a difference.

~~Becka

 
At 7:02 PM , Blogger Rosie said...

I'm lucky because I walk with Lu (and others) and we chat the whole time. The hour and the miles go by fast. Keep on keepin' on. (That's what I'm telling myself too) You're worth it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home