Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Weighing In

The old adage that you can't lose weight unless YOU want to is so true. There have been many times I've railed against such a notion because I didn't *want* to lose weight. I didn't *want* to exercise. I didn't *want* to eat healthier. I didn't like diets. I didn't like the temptation.

Many times my hubby has gotten us onto Weight Watchers, tried to motivate the both of us to quit drinking sodas, drink more water, eat less sweets... But I suppose I never truly lost the weight "for good" because I didn't really want to. I was comfortable with where I was in life, why should I change?

It also stems from my own vile hatred of change. I cannot stand change. If something changes in my little world, it's a major upheaval. It stems from my childhood, I'm sure, when every change in my life was a bad one. If all is right in the world, if everything stays the same, then in my own way, I'm "safe".

This is why I freaked out when I was diagnosed with diabetes. Sure, I put on a happy face for everyone, family and friends. But I was pretty depressed, actually, for about two weeks there. Talk about change. Talk about upheaval. Talk about something that is not only bad, but scary bad.

The "choice" to eat better wasn't really mine to make, as it was pretty much a do or die situation. Sure, I wouldn't die tomorrow, but if I kept mistreating my body by eating the wrong things, I was facing a laundry list of diabetes-related complications. Heart failure, kidney failure, amputations & blindness, just to name a few.

Nothing like a "Holy Sh*t!" moment to suddenly make you a staunch advocate for change.

But the diabetes "diet" wasn't as crazy as some other diets are. In fact, it's not really a diet at all. It's a way of life. In addition to eating better by finding foods that are no sugar/no fat, eating more fruits and veggies, whole grains, and controlling portion size, you get to eat six times a day. SIX times! I'm never hungry. And when I do get hungry, one look at the clock and yup, it's snack time.

Therefore I don't get discouraged with the small portions I'm eating as opposed to the giant plates of old. I know I can have a snack in a couple of hours. A healthy snack, of course, of either a piece of fruit (a small apple, banana or orange) or perhaps a few crackers and some low-fat string cheese, or a serving--one cup--of Dannon Light & Fit yogurt (nonfat, no sugar added yumminess).

My eating regimen consists of watching carbs - not sugars. It amazed me when the dietitian told me to watch carbs instead. They instantly turn to glucose in your bloodstream, so you need to really watch your portion size. Carbs aren't bad for you, as glucose is the fuel your body needs to move, but too many carbs is VERY bad. So I can have pasta, rice, and rolls, just in moderation. Thank Gawd, because those are some of my very favorite foods.

The point of all this rambling is that I'm doing very well. According to my home scale, I've lost 16 pounds so far. I lose about 5 - 7 oz. a day.



It's very encouraging to see progress made, not only in my weight and diet, but in my blood sugar as well. It is doing great on the Metformin. Still not under 100 *every* morning for my fasting blood sugar (testing your blood before you eat breakfast), but hovering there between 90 - 105. Better than the 115's it was at when I was on Glyburide.

Now, I'm struggling with trying to fit in thirty minutes to an hour of exercise every day. I've got to find some kind of routine to follow. I need to get out and walk, as the stationary bike isn't the best form of exercise, but at least it's something. I'm thinking about perhaps getting a treadmill. That way, I can walk without having to pack up the kids somewhere, AND I can listen to my iPod. Walking on some nature trail rocking out with the headphones--and my kids following behind--just doesn't seem like a good idea. But you've got to do what you've got to do sometimes, I guess.

I really wish there were more than 24 hours in a day.

~~Becka
http://www.RebeccaGoings.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home