Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #18 ~ Thirteen Reasons Why I LUV Being an Author



This week's list is comprised from reasons why I love being an author. :)

1.) I love to create. I've drawn pictures, crocheted, done crafts, gotten into baking (recently), and I love to write. The whole creative process from beginning to end, from plotting to inventing characters, to throwing situations at them.

2.) I love being published. Obvious. Many writers out there aren't as lucky. To them, I say Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

3.) I love seeing my book covers. After writing the book, it's always a rush to see your finished cover. It's what will sell the book, or at least get someone's attention. And seeing a representation of your story on the cover is a wonderful feeling.

4.) I love actually writing more than one book. A lot of people say they have One Big Novel in them that they want to write "someday". Writing a book is no easy feat. Anyone can string words together, but it takes an author to tell a story worth reading. I liken writing a book to "painting with words." If you can make your reader forget that they're reading a book and immerse themselves within your world, then you've done your job.

5.) I love promotion. Yes, some of you are gasping, I can hear you. :P But I do love it. I love "getting out there" and talking to the readers, and yakking about myself or my books. LOL I always look forward to trying bigger and better things and getting my name recognized by more and more people.

6.) I love the royalties. This one is a given. :) Royalties are oh-so-handy to have. Hehehe...

7.) I love that I can actually see my books on bookstore shelves. How AWESOME is that?!?

8.) I love that my books are stocked in my local libraries (yes, plural) and I didn't even have to bribe them! In fact, I found out by accident from a fan that they were even on the shelves. SWEET.

9.) I love all my author friends and all their unique books. I'm truly happy that I found e-publishing. It's not at all "traditional" like the New York houses. You can actually find some strange and awesome stuff out there!

10.) I love the fact that people actually WANT my autograph. Used to be the only ones who wanted that were the people who collected the bills... lol

11.) I love being at the same publishing houses as some of the biggest names in electronic publishing. Makes me feel all the more "established" as an author.

12.) Big name New York authors know who I am because of the circles I... circulate. :) Dean Koontz, Piers Anthony, Nora Roberts, Lori Foster, Paula Quinn, Christine Feehan... (I wonder if they're fans? LOL)

13.) I love being able to re-read my books and never get tired of them. Sometimes I'll read an older one and think, "I wrote this. Damn, I'm GOOD!" Hehehe... No big head here. Nope, not at all. :P

And there you have it. Thirteen reasons why I LUV being an author!

~~Becka



9 Comments:

At 10:04 AM , Blogger Daisy Dexter Dobbs said...

This was a wonderful, positive TT list, Becka! Being able to live our dreams, to do what we love most (and making good money at it as well), is like receiving a treasured gift, isn't it? :-D

My TT features mini-excerpts from my books. :-)

 
At 11:22 AM , Blogger Jean Bauhaus said...

I would love all of those things, too. Can't wait until I go from "aspiring writer" to "author" and get to experience all of that first hand.

Happy TT!

 
At 11:47 AM , Blogger i am the diva said...

great list! you're living the dream. Now...to finish my novel.... ;)

my TT is up.

 
At 12:31 PM , Blogger Michelle Hasker said...

Great TT Becka!

Being an author is wonderful, isn't it :)

 
At 12:54 PM , Blogger Misty DawnS said...

I instantly subscribed to your blog-feed. I love writing and I love reading - So, I'll love reading about your writing ;-)Very wonderful and inspiring TT!

 
At 1:49 PM , Blogger MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Good for you. I only wish I could write!

 
At 2:08 PM , Blogger Denise Patrick said...

Sometimes I read my stuff and wonder what I was thinking! But, I love your list - all great reasons to write!!

 
At 2:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

great list! thanks for keeping dreams alive !

 
At 5:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

All great reasons. There are so many authors who are Thirteeners...it's really very inspiring.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home