Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Goodbye, Old Friend



You've been with me for 12 years, meowed for your breakfast, rubbed on my feet, came running when I whistled. You warmed my lap countless times, watching House, as well as LOST, Firefly, Buffy, Angel, ER, Friends, and countless other shows and movies I've watched over the years. You would crawl under the blankets with me at bedtime or curl up around my head and purr, much to my husband's dismay. In your old age, you became ornery, demanding to be lifted up to the dryer in order to eat your kibbles. You'd weasel your way onto my lap, despite me pushing on you to get off. You were on my lap, dammit, and you were going to stay there.

Your name was Justin Time Jr., named so for two reasons; #1 being you were a runt kitten who's mother had left you behind to die, and #2, being you looked exactly like DH's childhood cat Justin Sr. You latched on to me as if I were your real mother, clinging to me every day of your life.

Even today, when we took your last trip, when you were scared at the vet, you held on tight, refusing to be moved, refusing to be parted from your Mommy. I love you, Big J. I'll miss you terribly. God gave you to me, now I've got to give you back. I pray you are finally in a better place with no more pain.

I'll never have another kitty like you, Justin. You will always be in my heart.

Goodbye, old friend.

~~Becka

8 Comments:

At 8:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Becks. :(

 
At 11:13 PM , Blogger Becka said...

Thanks, Lisa. Today has been hard. I've tried to stay strong for the kids, but every now and again, the tears will slip through. He went peacefully and I got to hold him, I got to say goodbye. The kids did too. That was important.

I've had many cats throughout my life, but none as loyal as him. It will be hard having a cold lap now while watching TV, but I know he couldn't have been with me forever. :(

~~Becka

 
At 11:36 AM , Blogger Donica Covey said...

I'm so sorry Becka. I know how hard it can be to loose a fur baby. I know you remember how broken up I was when I lost my Cochise.

At least J had a good life, thanks to you. I know its cliche and even painful to hear but at least he isn't suffering any more. He cna be at peace now.

Huggles,
Donica

 
At 6:49 PM , Blogger Becka said...

Thank you, Donica. Justin did have a good life, even though his kitten-hood wasn't ideal. When he was found, he was covered in fleas, and we had to literally shave him to get them all off, the poor thing. LOL He was also tortured a bit by a "friend" of ours, who, not surprisingly, is no longer our friend, the bastard.

But all that aside, he had a great life; curious about outside, but only as far as the people were. Then he'd run back in. :P He was a good cat, albeit a bitchy cat, but he was loved.

~~Becka

 
At 4:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becka,

I was tearing up yesterday thinking about him. When he was little. He was so cute, and so very small. Of course, he was also totally covered in fleas, the poor thing.

You and Jim gave him a great home, with lots of love. Again, I'm very sorry that he's gone.

 
At 6:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Becks. That is so painful, I really feel for you from the bottom of my heart. My prayers are with you. Perhaps a Justin III? It's the only way I know to cope with these losses. God bless you.

 
At 6:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becks, my heart hurts for you. I know how hard this is. Please know I'll have you in my thoughts and prayers. Perhaps a Justin III? That's the only way I ever get through these things...

 
At 8:07 AM , Blogger Becka said...

Thanks, Lisa and Ciar. It is hard when you lose a pet, especially when you lose a pet that was so close to you. For years I dreaded the day he would pass, but I was just happy he wasn't in anymore pain. I've been more depressed than teary-eyed lately. But we have one more kitty I've been latching onto. She even slept with us last night. :)

~~Becka

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home