Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #19 ~ Thirteen Correct Pronunciations in The Legends of Mynos



This week, I'm going to be posting some correct pronunciations in my fantasy realm of Lyndaria, to celebrate the recent PRINT RELEASE of The Wolverine and the Rose, Book I of my three book series. :) Each pronunciation has a part in bold, to signify the syllable with the emphasis.

Let's get started!

1.) Mynos - pronounced "Mai-noce." When I was in school, kids used to call him "my nose"... uh uh. It's NOT "Mee-nos". It's not "Mee-nose" or "Mee-noce" or "Min-ose", it's "Mai-noce", long "i" sound on the first syllable, long "o" on the second syllable.

2.) Arianna - pronounced "Ahr-ee-ah-na". It is not "Air-ee-ann-ah".

3.) Geoffrey - pronounced "Jeffrey", but I'm sure you knew that already. :)

4.) Lyndaria - pronounced "Lin-dahr-ee-ah". NO "Lin-dare-ee-ah" here.

5.) Malnan - pronounced "Mal-nen".

6.) Estriel - pronounced "Es-tree-el", emphasis on the first syllable. Not "Es-tree-el".

7.) Kaas - pronounced "Kahs", NOT "Kass".

8.) Iruindyll - pronounced "Ear-oo-in-dill"

9.) Djendorl - pronounced "Jen-dor-l" (silent "d")

10.) Marynville - pronounced "Mare-in-vill"

11.) Aeryn Island - pronounced "Air-in" Island.

12.) Stollinshire - pronounced "Stahl-in-shire".

13.) Meiri - pronounced "Mear-ee", NOT "Mai-ree".

And there you have it! If you've read the series and are unsure of a pronunciation, just ask, and I'll tell ya! I know a lot of times, the author's pronunciation and what you read to yourself just don't sync up. If that's the case, tell me how YOU thought one of these words were pronounced! :D

~~Becka


5 Comments:

At 11:26 PM , Blogger HartofDixie said...

There's no way I could pronounce those words correctly. Thanks for sharing! So interesting to know.

 
At 11:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good to know and quite interesting to read :) Happy TT!

 
At 6:37 AM , Blogger Carolan Ivey said...

I tend to use Irish and Gaelic names in my stories... you know, 28 letters, only one syllable? :)

 
At 8:16 AM , Blogger Denise Patrick said...

Very fun. I need to do something like that for one of mine.

 
At 4:43 PM , Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ha! I had a lot of them right. Geoffrey was a no-brainer though. I know one.

Happy TT and I'm glad you stopped by!! (and, of course, congrats on the print release!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home