Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Perspectives



Is this guy really holding the sun? Or is it merely trick photography? Obviously, we'd all say "trick photography", but that doesn't make it any less cool. At one point or another in our lives, we would love for a chance to "hold the sun" as it were. Be at the top of your game, the best you can be, the one everyone goes to for answers.

But most of the time, we're merely "pretending" to hold the sun.

The picture above is just a visual representation of my ponderings this evening, with regards to being an author and how it pertains to fame and success. "Fame" is subjective. How many people, exactly, must know who you are before you're famous? Do you have to be slandered on the cover of the rag-mags? Talked about on the evening news? Go to fancy parties thrown by tycoons who are worth several million?

And what if you're like me, a writer for a couple of small presses, who's maybe reached a few hundred people? I suppose in the small circles we e-published authors run in, we are famous to a degree. Well-known to those we talk to all the time. But I honestly have to say I don't write to be famous. I don't write to be successful. Sure, most authors would love to have their careers take off with Hollywood pounding on their door for the movie rights of their One Big Novel. I'm not saying I'd turn my nose at that. :P

But I write to entertain, to bring others into my imagination for a time. That's what makes me happy--watching and hearing people react to the plot twists I've thrown in, or talking about my characters as if they were real people. That's the true pay off.

So yes, while there will always be the Bigger and Better author out there that everyone strives to be like, I have to say I'm happy where I am. I'm not jealous of anyone's successes, because in all honesty, if I wanted their success for myself, I'd strive to make it happen. And for the most part, I believe that's what I'm doing. I've been professionally published since January of 2005. Not that long. However, it has taken me 2 1/2 years to get where I am right now, and I don't even know where that is! Am I famous? I don't know. Not in the grand scheme of things. But in my little circles? Sure.

Perhaps the bigger question here is, am I satisfied with where I am as an author? I'd have to say yes. I'll never turn down the opportunity to make myself "Bigger and Better", but only to reach more people, not to gain notoriety. I could care less about fame. I just want to share my stories. And in that, I am happy.

In that, I am "holding the sun."

1 Comments:

At 9:25 AM , Blogger Sandra said...

That is a really cool picture.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home