Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #14 ~ Becka's Favorite Scents



This week, I'm going to be telling you about my favorite scents. I'm not sure where this idea came from, but I'm running with it. :)

1.) Coffee. I love the scent of ground coffee still in the bag. My favorite so far is Starbucks Colombian blend coffee grounds. I love the scent in the bag better than brewed. Gives me a coffee-gasm every time.

2.) Rain. Sounds cliche, but I love the scent of rain. I remember from my childhood, when my family lived in the sticks (Dayton, NV), and a thunderstorm would roll through... I'd sneak outside and lay on the driveway underneath my mom's broken down Chevy (don't ask me why I'd hide UNDER the car... Talk about an accident waiting to happen - I was an odd child). But I would just lay there and breathe deep.

3.) Givenchy perfume - Very Irresistable. DH gave me this perfume for my birthday a few years ago and I've gone through three large bottles since then. For a woman who doesn't wear much perfume, I sure did give this stuff a good run. It's expensive, but it smells SO GOOD... It's in a tall, pink, rectangular bottle if you ever see it at your local department store.

4.) Roses. Just like any other woman on Planet Earth, I love the scent of roses.

5.) Rose-scented perfumes. Which leads me to this scent. I love rose-scented perfumes (of which the above-listed Givenchy perfume is based.)

6.) Sauteed onions & garlic. OMG, this scent makes my stomach dance and sing. I love the scent of onions and garlic sauteed together. Mmm...

7.) Puppy breath. No, not DOG breath, puppy breath. Like newborn puppy breath. It has it's own unique scent, probably because they're not yet eating the nasty storebought dog food just yet.

8.) New Car Smell. Yup, this is probably cliche, but there really is nothing like getting into a brand new car and taking a deep breath. Ahhh.

9.) Newborn Baby. While you might think eeww, baby smell? Let me first say that a newborn baby, while breastfeeding, does NOT have stinky poos. I've had four kids. I'm an expert on this. It isn't until you give them formula and solids that they stink. But I'm not talking about their poos. I'm just talking about the heavenly smell that seems to waft off of newborn baby skin. It goes far beyond Johnson & Johnson's or baby powder. I'm not sure what it is, but they smell so good.

10.) Old Spice - Whitewater Aftershave. This is the aftershave that is blue. It is not the traditional Old Spice smell, but something more wonderful than that. I love this scent, probably because my DH wears this (I buy it for him-that's why he wears it), but I could literally smell his pillow all day long because I love the scent of this aftershave so much. It's not a cologne, however. But it reminds me of my sexy, hunka hubby. :)

11.) Fresh-Cut Grass. While my son is highly allergic to grass, I find the scent of fresh-cut grass highly appealing. I love being out there when DH is mowing the lawn, smelling the odor that reminds me of spring freshness.

12.) Gasoline. I told you I was odd. For years, my sister and I have each loved the smell of gasoline. I don't smell it too much any more (good thing because I hear it can kill braincells lol), because here in Oregon, you don't pump your own gas. In an effort to create more jobs, we have people who pump your gas for you, therefore, I rarely smell the vapors rising from my gas tank anymore. But I remember... And dear Gawd, at the gas prices nowadays, SMELLING the stuff is pretty much all I *can* do, as my van is constantly running on fumes. lol

13.) A charcoal BBQ. Maybe it's the lighter fluid, I'm not sure, but a gas grill just doesn't have the *smell* a charcoal BBQ has. So many possibilities, so many yummy foods. I smell a charcoal grill and my tummy is a'growlin', even if it's the neighbors who are cooking out. I usually then have to grill something myself for dinner. But DH and I have a gas grill. Dammit.

And there you have it, 13 of my favorite scents!

~~Becka


14 Comments:

At 8:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on #2, 11, 12, and 13.

Just remember if you ever need a gas fumes fix, just take the gas cap of the lawn mower and inhale!

Happy TT!

 
At 8:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got a good nose. I agree with 90% of them. Especially babies and puppies. :)

 
At 8:26 AM , Blogger Penny said...

The rain here has different smells depending on the time of day, year, etc. Sometimes I love it, and others I can't really smell it.

I can totally relate on liking the smell of gasoline. I do too. I also love the smell of fuel oil. My dad delivers it and I think the smell reminds me of my childhood.

Happy TTing!

 
At 8:38 AM , Blogger MsSnarkyPants said...

Oh I LOVE newborn breastfed baby smell! It's just so cuddly and fabulous! :-D

 
At 8:39 AM , Blogger Mama's Moon said...

Mmmm, a newborn's head -- nothing beats 'em! Maybe it's because I'm back home living with my mom and seeing my granny a lot more but I've begun developing hives each time I even THINK about roses!

Happy Thursday!

 
At 8:43 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with you on all but 10 & 12!

 
At 10:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

all are nice and so good to imagine.hehehe! great list!

 
At 10:28 AM , Blogger Rebecca said...

#6 - Yummy!
:)
Becki
VoteForBecki.com

 
At 11:34 AM , Blogger Sunny Ellis said...

I like cool water for men, but probably mostly because my DH wears it.

I'm with Pen on the oil thing. I love the smell of an auto shop. Reminds me of home.

I like fresh cut grass. It says spring to me.

 
At 2:31 PM , Blogger Lady Jane said...

I love the smell of rain, especially out at the lake. And sauteed garlic & onions smell delicious! I have two candles that smell like Fresh-Cut Grass. Yummy!

 
At 4:13 PM , Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I think it's the lighter fluid, yeah. I can't think of any other explanation for it.

As for coffee, I love the smell but loathe the taste. How is that possible?

Happy TT!

 
At 7:24 AM , Blogger Misty Williams said...

WOW, what a nose. hehe.

You've been tagged Becka. See my blog for details ;)

Misty

 
At 12:05 PM , Blogger Becka said...

Correction about the Givenchy perfume bottle... As I was spritzing some on this morning, I noticed the bottle is a tall, pink, TRIANGULAR shape, NOT rectangular as I told you the other day. Probably doesn't matter, but I thought I'd mention it.

The triangular shape kind of twists a bit as it rises to the spray nozzle, just FYI. :P

~~Becka

 
At 3:00 PM , Blogger Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

Sauteed onions and garlics is my favorite smell, followed by lemons and limes (only right off the tree), baking bread, and Johnson's baby powder. The others you mentioned, except rain, give me headaches, unfortunately.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home