Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Saturday, July 12, 2008

13 Weeks!

Well, I'm officially 13 weeks pregnant, finally into my 2nd trimester and boy, am I glad! That 1st trimester was a doozy. I felt yucky all the time and took two naps a day. Nowadays, I'm only yucky in the morning, for about an hour after I wake up, and when I get tired, my body is more fatigued than sleepy. Don't get me wrong, if I do anything strenuous (like running errands lol), when I come home, I *am* sleepy.

When I nap, I am OUT. I go into such a deep sleep, that when I finally do wake up an hour or two later, I literally cannot move. It's so odd. I don't sleep that deeply at night - at least I don't think I do...

The wee one is officially due on January 10th, and my doctor isn't going to let me go past that date due to my diabetes. She doesn't want there to be any complications. My blood sugar has been doing very well, despite the fact I gotta stick myself four times a day **grumble grumble** My weight is also doing well, as I've lost about 6 pounds in the past month and a half. Not too much, but hey, at least I'm not gaining! For the most part, I'm maintaining my weight. I know, I know, I need to start exercising again and I'd probably be losing even more. I stopped after I became sick and tired (literally) every day. Now that I'm feeling better, I have no excuse, really.

My doctor told me if I lose weight during pregnancy, that's perfectly healthy, seen as how I can stand to lose! :P As long as it's not too dramatic a weight loss, I should be fine. We'll see if I can do it. Once Baby Goings really starts to grow, it might be harder to maintain my weight.

Right now, it's about 3 inches long, give or take, from head to rump and can fit in the palm of your hand, like this lovely pic shows (sans the clothing, of course heh):



We should be able to find out the sex of the baby within the next few weeks, and believe me, we wanna know. Having a boy would be so much "easier" than another girl, because we could just have new baby share a room with our boy. But our three girls are already piled into one room, so if this baby is a girl, she might just end up bunking with her older brother for a time anyway. Despite the big house we live in, finding room for baby will be a challenge.

The good news is now that the 1st trimester is behind me, the chances of miscarriage drop remarkably. My doctor said about a 2% chance now. My dad asked me when the chances drop to 0%. I told him: BIRTH. LOL There is no such thing as "0%" chance.

Anyhow, just wanted to give you an update on me. I definitely feel pregnant now. Not really "showing" at the moment, but my pants are noticibly tighter. They still fit, but after a meal, they're uncomfortable. I'll need to be buying maternity threads very soon, methinks. This is why I've been sporting my elastic shorts lately. :P

And yes, I've been feeling the baby moving regularly now. It's still a tiny little thing, and I can only feel it when I'm sitting down, but I do feel that fluttering in there. I feel it around the same times every day, usually early morning/late at night. Perhaps that's only because that's when I'm in my "quiet time" and thus feel it more. I can't wait until we find out what it is! I've been LOVING the Classic Pooh theme lately (the more "old skool" Pooh look, rather than the modern Disney-fied Pooh), and I'd love to run with that, but I gotta know... Pink or Blue?! :D

~~Becka

8 Comments:

At 8:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats to you n your family. im voting for blue,boys are easier to raise

 
At 4:43 PM , Blogger LisaBisa said...

Congrats!

That's wonderful :)

 
At 7:15 PM , Blogger Christopher said...

January 10th, eh? Our new Sweet Pea is due the same day. Now that is freaky. I thought it was strange enough when Owen's original due date was Jim's birthday.

 
At 1:51 PM , Blogger Becka said...

Heh, that is indeed uncanny! :D Are you guys going to find out the sex? Cause seriously, I wanna drool over the baby stuff, but I want to be drooling over the right things. I think it would kill me not to know, and get only neutral baby stuff beforehand... No green and yellow! Pink or blue, dammit! LOL

~~Becka

 
At 8:40 PM , Blogger Christopher said...

I prefer to say gender rather than sex... but yes, we do plan to find out. We need to have a proper battle over names, and that can't happen if we are forced to choose in a rush after the baby is born. =)

I'm not sure I buy into the idea that gender = sociology but sex = biology.

 
At 10:53 PM , Blogger Becka said...

While you may not "like" the term *sex* used in place of *gender*, according to the dictionary, how I phrased my question is a correct usage of the word.

In fact, Merriam Webster online has "sex" used for "gender" as the first definition, and sex used for copulation the second.

Main Entry: 1sex
Pronunciation: \ˈseks\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin sexus
Date: 14th century
1: either of the two major forms of individuals that occur in many species and that are distinguished respectively as female or male especially on the basis of their reproductive organs and structures
2: the sum of the structural, functional, and behavioral characteristics of organisms that are involved in reproduction marked by the union of gametes and that distinguish males and females
3 a: sexually motivated phenomena or behavior b: sexual intercourse
4: genitalia

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sex

What you do or do not "prefer" doesn't matter with regards to proper usage, bub.

:P

~~Becka

 
At 9:59 AM , Blogger Luann said...

It's so exciting to read your pregnancy updates. You are doing great! Love, Mom

 
At 7:19 PM , Blogger Christopher said...

Oy! I didn't say that I didn't like the word you used, or that you used it incorrectly. It's just that I prefer the word gender.

Notice, though, that even the M-W definition says "especially on the basis of their reproductive organs." Compare that to the Wikipedia definition:

Although gender is commonly used interchangeably with sex, within the social sciences it often refers to specifically social differences, known as gender roles in the biological sciences.

So what I was really saying is that I'm not really sold on the idea that gender is independent of sex, which some sociologists think is the case. When I say I prefer to say gender when sex is perfectly accurate, it's partly because I don't want to concede to the idea that they mean different things.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home