Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Shocked and Saddened

This morning, I found out that one of my favorite singers has recently had a tragedy in his life. It was hard for me not to cry about it, since I've been listening to his music for close to 20 years. He's like a part of my family, almost.

That singer is Steven Curtis Chapman.

His youngest daughter, 5-year-old Maria Sue, was struck and killed by an SUV driven by her teenage brother. Apparently, he didn't see her in the driveway, and it's nothing more than a tragic accident. This is particularly heartwrenching, because Maria Sue was a little Chinese girl they'd adopted through Shaohannah's Hope, Mr. Chapman's adoption foundation.

I ask that you pray for Steven and his family, not only for the daughter that they lost, but for the son who took her life. I cannot imagine the guilt and sorrow he must be feeling. I do know Mr. Chapman's sons banded together to make a "band" of sorts of their own, called "Stevenson" (I believe), who also sing Christian songs, but the news article I read didn't mention the name of the son who was driving the truck.

Please, please, please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers. I've seen Steven Curtis Chapman in concert and know almost every word of his songs by heart. He is such a strong man in his faith and a pillar in the Christian music scene. I can only imagine the pain and suffering this family is going through right now.

To read the article, click here:

CNN Article

We love you here in Oregon, Steven. You have our prayers and sympathy. I pray you can find comfort in God's arms during this ordeal, and find the strength to carry on.

Much love and thanks for your music over the years,
~~Becka

P.S.
Edited to add the web URL of a special blog set up to share condolences with the Chapman family.

http://chapmanchannel.typepad.com/inmemoryofmaria/



1 Comments:

At 3:04 PM , Blogger JaimeK said...

Becka: I love SCC and his music. I was shocked and very sad for him and his family. While I feel badly for him - I feel the worst for his son and I hope and pray that he makes it through this very difficult time. On Steven's web site there is a blog done by his manager and he talks about the funeral and the beauty there was in the sadness.
Peace.
JaimeK

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home