Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I Know This is "Old News", But...

I know this is old news, but I decided to share this with you anyway. On Sunday, Barack Obama had the largest rally of his campaign, right here in Portland, OR. It's estimated that over 75,000 people attended. Sure, some people attributed the large crowd to the GORGEOUS weather we had that day, or even to the "free concert" that opened for Obama - however, the band was The Decemberists, a local Portland band with a few thousand fans, I'm sure, who are mostly punk and alternative, if I am correct. But one thing's for sure - they don't have the following for THAT big a crowd. No, these people were out there to see Obama, and the awesome weather sure didn't hurt.

Portland itself is a very LIBERAL town anyhow. It's pretty obvious when you walk down the street. lol But I do so love this town regardless, even though I'm a registered Republican.

DH and I have been thinking more and more of re-registering as Independents, since we are growing more and more frustrated with the Republican party. We're definitely not Democrats, but I'll tell you what, I'm thinking hard about who I'm going to vote for this November, and Obama, if/when he wins his party's nomination, is looking more and more attractive the more I learn about him and his policies.

I've been watching the videos on his website, http://www.barackobama.com/, and he is an excellent speaker, and speaks of tackling issues I want to be tackled in this country. I'm tired of "voting Republican just because I'm Republican". It's one of the reasons DH and I didn't vote in the Oregon Primary, because state law mandates you must vote for your party in the Primary. As an Independent, DH and I would be "allowed" to vote for anyone we want to, and that seems more "fair" and "equal" to me.

Anyhow, I thought you might enjoy a video from Obama's Sunday rally here in Portland. To give you some perspective, Dave Matthews gave a free concert in Central Park right after 9/11, and 80,000 people came and packed the park. Obama's rally was 75,000 people, not that much less. You'd think this man was the Second Coming! Where's the 5 loaves and 2 fish?!? LOL Enjoy the vid.



~~Becka

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home