Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Becka's Movie Reviews

Without anything else awesome to blog, I thought I would regale you with my opinions of current movies, as if you actually give a damn. :P

If you haven't seen IRONMAN, drop everything you're doing **right now** and go see this film. It is arguably THE best superhero film ever made. I loved it, mainly because Robert Downey, Jr. stole the show. If there was any doubt about this man after his history with drugs, this movie has laid it all to rest. I knew he was a good actor, but in watching IRONMAN, I have learned that Mr. Downey is actually one HELL of an actor, and not just because I was drooling over him in his muscle shirt. He was perfectly cast, and I don't think anyone I know came away from that movie saying, "Well, that sucked. I'll never get THAT 2 hours of my life back." Go and see it if you haven't already. It's worth a theater trip.

Another movie worth a theater trip is The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. It has a different feel to it than the first movie, but that is to be expected 1300 years after the kids accidentally left Narnia. The places they know are now either destroyed or look totally different. The creatures are the same ones you're familiar with, but the enemy they must face is quite different. The one character that made me smile fondly in the theater, reminiscing about reading these books as a young teen, is Reepicheep. I had forgotten all about him, but upon seeing him "again" for the first time, I had to wonder how I'd forgotten him. He reminds me a bit of Puss in Boots from the Shrek movies with a big difference - he's a mouse, not a cat. LOL

Go see the Narnia movie. If you liked the first one, you'll like the second one.

The Mist. Okay, folks, you may or may not remember this little gem, but it was a campy movie made from Stephen King's famous short story of the same name. Upon it's release, this movie was forced to be shown in color, against the director's wishes. The studio thought showing it in black and white (to resemble a '50's B movie) wouldn't gel with today's young teen audience. Perhaps they were right.

But the director of this movie has released his Director's Cut version, and it's in - you guessed it - black and white. Now, let me just say that DH and I never saw the color version of this movie, nor will we now that we've seen it in B&W. The B&W seems to enhance something in this flick, perhaps giving it a grittier feel, and sort of "uncamping" it in a way, since yes, they know it's kinda cheesy, but when shown in B&W, you are kind of "expecting" that, and thus, the movie seems better than it would have been in color. Make sense?

Well. If you like horror and/or suspense, you'll like this movie. If you hate it when every movie under the sun has a picture perfect ending, you'll like this movie. If you literally get pissed off and start yelling at your TV, you'll like this movie. Now, I don't mean "pissed of and screaming" in a bad way. We've all yelled at the screen for the asinine things people do in horror flicks. But in this movie, you'll be so engrossed, that you'll literally want to jump through the screen and take care of fricken' business yourself.

Yes there is gore and bad words and all kinds of horror flick-y goodness. But this one won't scare you as much as it will f--k you up. DH and I fell in love with the B&W version of The Mist. If you happen to pick this one up at the video store, make sure you're getting the B&W director's cut. You'll be glad you did.

~~Becka

1 Comments:

At 12:14 PM , Blogger Luann said...

I totally agree with you on Ironman - that is a totally awesome movie; and Robert Downey is just perfect in every sense. I want to see the sequel to Narnia (I liked the first one). Now that you've described it, I'll make a point to pick up the bw version of The Mist - sounds good. You know I love Stephen King stuff.

Mom

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home