Becka's Babble

Ramblings of a Romance Writer

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Becka's New Year's Resolutions

This year, I aim to do something different with my writing life than I have in the past. I've decided to make them resolutions, and perhaps I'll be able to abide by them. **crosses fingers**

1.) I aim to spend less time "online" and more time writing. What does this mean? Well, I'll be on IM less for one. I'll quit surfing and do what I should be doing in the first place. So those of you who's used to yakking with me at any time, you might be seeing me less as the new year begins. I've been seriously slacking on my writing projects because I get easily distracted. It's nothing personal, but I do need to get my head in gear. I doubt Nora Roberts spends all day on IM. :)

2.) I aim to do less promo. GASP! What? But promo is the name of the game. Yes, that is indeed right, and know that I'm not saying I plan to ax it all together. No, I plan on cutting back on what I do, picking and choosing how I should spend my time. Obviously, things such as my author loop and this blog will go on as usual. But other blogs around the 'Net might not get as much attention from me as they once did in 2007. Again, another time suck. Not only do I need to make time for writing, but for schooling my kids and cleaning my house.

3.) After my contracted projects are done, I aim to write a manuscript for Silhouette Desire. I've told you this before, but it's one of my resolutions. They might reject it, but I'm still going to write it. I have three publishers now. If Desire doesn't want it, I know someone will. :)

Not so lofty goals after all, eh? Last year, I wanted to reach 1000 friends on MySpace, double my readership, and be somewhat quasi-successful. I have achieved that for the most part. I'm not sure about the quasi-successful part, as I still greet my royalty checks with disdain (smile), but I think that is due in part to the small-ish readership of eBook romances.

That is one of the reasons why I want to go to New York this year. To gain more readers! New York is the ultimate promotional tool... Sell your novel, get people to love it and be curious as to who you are and what else you have to offer. If/when I ever make it at Harlequin, I expect my sales to soar yet again (I hope) as new readers will have discovered me, because let's face it, those Desires are found EVERYWHERE, bookstores, Wal-Marts, Targets, drugstores, airports, you name it.

So, 2008 will be a year of refocusing my efforts, and trying to become the best author I can be without distractions, without excuses that I was "promoting" all the day long. Let's cross our fingers and hope I can live up to my own expectations.

Happy New Year, everyone. May 2008 be a wonderful year for you all. :)

~~Becka
http://www.RebeccaGoings.com

4 Comments:

At 7:47 AM , Blogger Jennifer McKenzie said...

Great goals, Becka! You can do it. It is tough to break away from the small royalty checks, but if anyone can do it, you can.
I can't wait to see you do it.

 
At 10:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you luck, Becka. Your goals sound very similar to mine. Go for that New York contract. I have the faith in you.

 
At 7:41 AM , Blogger Kimber Chin said...

Great goals, Becka!

BTW... I see you're #1, 2, and 3 on the Champagne best sellers listing this week. Awesome.

 
At 1:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you can do it too! I'm behind you all the way!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home